FDCPA and Other Consumer Lawsuit Statistics, August 1-15, 2011
There were about 492 lawsuits filed under consumer statutes in the first half of August 2011. Here is an approximate breakdown:
- 441 FDCPA
- 69 FCRA
- 26 TILA
- 13 TCPA
- Of those cases, there were about 529 unique plaintiffs (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit).
- Of those plaintiffs, about 169 had sued under consumer statutes before.
- Combined, those plaintiffs have filed about 966 lawsuits since 2001
- Actions were filed in 106 different US District Court branches.
- About 492 different collection firms and creditors were sued.
The top courts where lawsuits were filed:
- 33 Lawsuits: Colorado District Court – Denver
- 25 Lawsuits: New York Eastern District Court – Brooklyn
- 24 Lawsuits: California Central District Court – Western Division – Los Angeles
- 24 Lawsuits: Pennsylvania Eastern District Court – Philadelphia
- 21 Lawsuits: New Jersey District Court – Newark
- 19 Lawsuits: Illinois Northern District Court – Chicago
- 16 Lawsuits: Minnesota District Court – Dmn
- 14 Lawsuits: Florida Middle District Court – Tampa
- 12 Lawsuits: Arizona District Court – Phoenix
- 12 Lawsuits: Michigan Western District Court – Southern Division
The most active consumer attorneys were:
- Representing 16 Consumers: Shireen Hormozdi
- Representing 13 Consumers: Adam Jon Fishbein
- Representing 11 Consumers: Jill Gookin
- Representing 11 Consumers: David Michael Larson
- Representing 11 Consumers: Sergei Lemberg
- Representing 10 Consumers: Michael S Agruss
- Representing 10 Consumers: Amy Lynn Bennecoff
- Representing 10 Consumers: Yaakov Saks
- Representing 8 Consumers: Jack Dennis Card, Jr.
- Representing 7 Consumers: Ryan Scott Lee
Statistics Year to Date:
7923 total lawsuits for 2011, including:
- 7249 FDCPA
- 833 FCRA
- 705 TILA
- 253 TCPA
Number of Unique Plaintiffs: 7896 (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit)
The most active consumer attorneys of the year
- Representing 222 Consumers: David Michael Larson
- Representing 188 Consumers: Craig Thor Kimmel
- Representing 172 Consumers: Jack Dennis Card, Jr.
- Representing 137 Consumers: Darin Shaw
- Representing 135 Consumers: Michael S Agruss