FDCPA and Other Consumer Lawsuit Statistics, July 1-15, 2011
There were about 524 lawsuits filed under consumer statutes in the first half of July 2011. Here is an approximate breakdown:
- 460 FDCPA
- 70 FCRA
- 25 TILA
- 12 RESPA
- Of those cases, there were about 536 unique plaintiffs (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit).
- Of those plaintiffs, about 184 had sued under consumer statutes before.
- Combined, those plaintiffs have filed about 1102 lawsuits since 2001
- Actions were filed in 125 different US District Court branches.
- About 539 different collection firms and creditors were sued.
The top courts where lawsuits were filed:
- 26 Lawsuits: New York Eastern District Court – Brooklyn
- 25 Lawsuits: Colorado District Court – Denver
- 21 Lawsuits: Pennsylvania Eastern District Court – Philadelphia
- 20 Lawsuits: California Central District Court – Western Division – Los Angeles
- 20 Lawsuits: Illinois Northern District Court – Chicago
- 19 Lawsuits: New Jersey District Court – Newark
- 18 Lawsuits: California Southern District Court – San Diego
- 16 Lawsuits: Michigan Eastern District Court – Detroit
- 15 Lawsuits: Georgia Northern District Court – Atlanta
- 14 Lawsuits: Missouri Western District Court – Kansas City
The most active consumer attorneys were:
- Representing 24 Consumers: Jack Dennis Card, Jr.
- Representing 18 Consumers: Adam Jon Fishbein
- Representing 14 Consumers: Darin Shaw
- Representing 14 Consumers: David Michael Larson
- Representing 14 Consumers: Mark N. Foster
- Representing 11 Consumers: Todd Michael Friedman
- Representing 11 Consumers: Andrew Ira Glenn
- Representing 11 Consumers: J. Mark Meinhardt
- Representing 10 Consumers: Amy Lynn Bennecoff
- Representing 10 Consumers: Novlette Rosemarie Kidd
Statistics Year to Date:
6899 total lawsuits for 2011, including:
- 6348 FDCPA
- 692 FCRA
- 645 TILA
- 228 TCPA
Number of Unique Plaintiffs: 6983 (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit)
The most active consumer attorneys of the year:
- Representing 198 Consumers: David Michael Larson
- Representing 173 Consumers: Craig Thor Kimmel
- Representing 164 Consumers: Jack Dennis Card, Jr.
- Representing 126 Consumers: Andrew Ira Glenn
- Representing 115 Consumers: Darin Shaw