FDCPA and Other Consumer Lawsuit Statistics, June 1-15, 2011
There were about 502 lawsuits filed under consumer statutes in the first half of June 2011. Here is an approximate breakdown:
- 442 FDCPA
- 40 FCRA
- 37 TILA
- 2 TCPA
- Of those cases, there were about 559 unique plaintiffs (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit).
- Of those plaintiffs, about 160 had sued under consumer statutes before.
- Combined, those plaintiffs have filed about 1057 lawsuits since 2001
- Actions were filed in 121 different US District Court branches.
- About 500 different collection firms and creditors were sued.
The top courts where lawsuits were filed:
- 27 Lawsuits: Colorado District Court - Denver
- 27 Lawsuits: Pennsylvania Eastern District Court - Philadelphia
- 26 Lawsuits: Illinois Northern District Court - Chicago
- 25 Lawsuits: California Central District Court - Western Division - Los Angeles
- 25 Lawsuits: Minnesota District Court - Dmn
- 18 Lawsuits: New Jersey District Court - Newark
- 15 Lawsuits: Michigan Eastern District Court - Detroit
- 12 Lawsuits: Georgia Northern District Court - Atlanta
- 12 Lawsuits: New York Southern District Court - Foley Square
- 10 Lawsuits: California Eastern District Court - Sacramento
The most active consumer attorneys were:
- Representing 18 Consumers: Tammy Lee Hussin
- Representing 16 Consumers: David Michael Larson
- Representing 16 Consumers: Jack Dennis Card, Jr.
- Representing 16 Consumers: Dennis R. Kurz
- Representing 13 Consumers: J. Mark Meinhardt
- Representing 12 Consumers: Tsarina Branyan
- Representing 12 Consumers: Andrew Ira Glenn
- Representing 11 Consumers: Darin Shaw
- Representing 11 Consumers: Alex D. Weisberg
- Representing 11 Consumers: Mark L Vavreck
Statistics Year to Date:
6427 total lawsuits for 2011, including:
- 5412 FDCPA
- 556 FCRA
- 580 TILA
- 220 TCPA
Number of Unique Plaintiffs: 6563 (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit)
The most active consumer attorneys of the year:
- Representing 166 Consumers: David Michael Larson
- Representing 154 Consumers: Craig Thor Kimmel
- Representing 132 Consumers: Jack Dennis Card, Jr.
- Representing 111 Consumers: Andrew Ira Glenn
- Representing 110 Consumers: Dale Wood Pittman