FDCPA and Other Consumer Lawsuit Statistics, June 16-30, 2011
There were about 567 lawsuits filed under consumer statutes in the second half of June 2011. Here is an approximate breakdown:
- 476 FDCPA
- 66 FCRA
- 40 TILA
- 4 TCPA
- Of those cases, there were about 601 unique plaintiffs (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit).
- Of those plaintiffs, about 173 had sued under consumer statutes before.
- Combined, those plaintiffs have filed about 1065 lawsuits since 2001
- Actions were filed in 121 different US District Court branches.
- About 614 different collection firms and creditors were sued.
The top courts where lawsuits were filed:
- 33 Lawsuits: Pennsylvania Eastern District Court - Philadelphia
- 32 Lawsuits: Colorado District Court - Denver
- 30 Lawsuits: California Central District Court - Western Division - Los Angeles
- 25 Lawsuits: Illinois Northern District Court - Chicago
- 23 Lawsuits: New Jersey District Court - Newark
- 20 Lawsuits: New York Eastern District Court - Brooklyn
- 14 Lawsuits: New York Western District Court - Buffalo
- 14 Lawsuits: Georgia Northern District Court - Atlanta
- 12 Lawsuits: California Southern District Court - San Diego
- 11 Lawsuits: Florida Southern District Court - Miami
The most active consumer attorneys were:
- Representing 18 Consumers: David Michael Larson
- Representing 14 Consumers: Sofia Balile
- Representing 13 Consumers: Craig Thor Kimmel
- Representing 13 Consumers: Alex D. Weisberg
- Representing 13 Consumers: Adam Jon Fishbein
- Representing 12 Consumers: David Wynn Miller
- Representing 10 Consumers: Darin Shaw
- Representing 10 Consumers: Tammy Lee Hussin
- Representing 9 Consumers: Ryan Scott Lee
- Representing 8 Consumers: Jack Dennis Card, Jr.
Statistics Year to Date:
6378 total lawsuits for 2011, including:
- 5888 FDCPA
- 622 FCRA
- 620 TILA
- 224 TCPA
Number of Unique Plaintiffs: 6563 (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit)
The most active consumer attorneys of the year:
- Representing 184 Consumers: David Michael Larson
- Representing 167 Consumers: Craig Thor Kimmel
- Representing 140 Consumers: Jack Dennis Card, Jr.
- Representing 115 Consumers: Andrew Ira Glenn
- Representing 110 Consumers: Dale Wood Pittman