FDCPA and Other Consumer Lawsuit Statistics, May 1-15, 2011
There were about 568 lawsuits filed under consumer statutes in the first half of May 2011. Here is an approximate breakdown:
- 550 FDCPA
- 86 TILA
- 44 FCRA
- 5 TCPA
- Of those cases, there were about 651 unique plaintiffs (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit).
- Of those plaintiffs, about 189 had sued under consumer statutes before.
- Combined, those plaintiffs have filed about 1154 lawsuits since 2001
- Actions were filed in 127 different US District Court branches.
- About 567 different collection firms and creditors were sued.
The top courts where lawsuits were filed:
- 34 Lawsuits: Colorado District Court - Denver
- 30 Lawsuits: Illinois Northern District Court - Chicago
- 27 Lawsuits: California Central District Court - Western Division - Los Angeles
- 25 Lawsuits: Minnesota District Court - DMN
- 20 Lawsuits: Pennsylvania Eastern District Court - Philadelphia
- 15 Lawsuits: Connecticut District Court - New Haven
- 15 Lawsuits: Florida Southern District Court - Miami
- 14 Lawsuits: New York Eastern District Court - Brooklyn
- 13 Lawsuits: California Southern District Court - San Diego
- 13 Lawsuits: New York Western District Court – Buffalo
The most active consumer attorneys were:
- Representing 46 Consumers: Jack Dennis Card, Jr.
- Representing 42 Consumers: Glenn Walters
- Representing 21 Consumers: David Michael Larson
- Representing 20 Consumers: Allison Marie Wolfe
- Representing 15 Consumers: Mark L Vavreck
- Representing 14 Consumers: Sergei Lemberg
- Representing 14 Consumers: David E Wandling
- Representing 11 Consumers: Darin Shaw
- Representing 10 Consumers: Daniel S. Blinn
- Representing 9 Consumers: Gary D. Nitzkin
Statistics Year to Date:
5302 total lawsuits for 2011, including:
- 4310 FDCPA
- 510 FCRA
- 468 TILA
- 117 TCPA
Number of Unique Plaintiffs: 5399 (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit)
The most active consumer attorneys of the year:
- Representing 135 Consumers: David Michael Larson
- Representing 123 Consumers: Craig Thor Kimmel
- Representing 86 Consumers: Jack Dennis Card, Jr.
- Representing 81 Consumers: Michael S Agruss
- Representing 74 Consumers: Sergei Lemberg