There were about 421 lawsuits filed under consumer statutes in the first half of September, 2010. Here is an approximate breakdown:
- 390 Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- 59 Fair Credit Reporting Act
- 12 Truth in Lending Act
- 12 Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- Of those cases, there were about 432 unique plaintiffs (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit).
- Of those plaintiffs, about 109 had sued under consumer statutes before.
- Combined, those plaintiffs have filed about 725 lawsuits since 2001
- Actions were filed in 106 different US District Court branches.
- About 408.75 different collection firms and creditors were sued.
The top courts where lawsuits were filed:
- 31 Lawsuits: Georgia Northern District Court - Atlanta
- 24 Lawsuits: Florida Southern District Court - Miami
- 23 Lawsuits: Illinois Northern District Court - Chicago
- 22 Lawsuits: Florida Southern District Court - Fort Lauderdale
- 18 Lawsuits: Colorado District Court - Denver
- 15 Lawsuits: California Central District Court - Western Division - Los Angeles
- 13 Lawsuits: Minnesota District Court - Dmn
- 11 Lawsuits: Pennsylvania Eastern District Court - Philadelphia
- 11 Lawsuits: Florida Middle District Court - Tampa
- 10 Lawsuits: Massachusetts District Court - Boston
The most active consumer attorneys were:
- Representing 38 Consumers: Jack Dennis Card, Jr.
- Representing 25 Consumers: James Marvin Feagle
- Representing 13 Consumers: David Michael Larson
- Representing 10 Consumers: John Cole Gayle, Jr.
- Representing 8 Consumers: Jennifer M. Kurtz
- Representing 8 Consumers: Joshua R. Trigsted
- Representing 8 Consumers: Andrew Ira Glenn
- Representing 8 Consumers: Sergei Lemberg
- Representing 7 Consumers: Phillip C. Rogers
- Representing 6 Consumers: Alex D. Weisberg
Statistics Year to Date:
8114 total lawsuits for 2010, including:
- 7600 FDCPA
- 889 FCRA
- 385 TILA
- 105 TCPA
Number of Unique Plaintiffs: 7802 (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit)
The most active consumer attorneys of the year:
- Representing 254 Consumers: Sergei Lemberg
- Representing 232 Consumers: Brent F. Vullings
- Representing 228 Consumers: Jack Dennis Card, Jr.
- Representing 193 Consumers: David Michael Larson
- Representing 167 Consumers: Donald A. Yarbrough