There were about 481 lawsuits filed under consumer statutes in the second half of September, 2010. Here is an approximate breakdown:
- 441 Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- 59 Fair Credit Reporting Act
- 26 Truth in Lending Act
- 7 Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- Of those cases, there were about 511 unique plaintiffs (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit).
- Of those plaintiffs, about 123 had sued under consumer statutes before.
- Combined, those plaintiffs have filed about 791 lawsuits since 2001
- Actions were filed in 106 different US District Court branches.
- About 456 different collection firms and creditors were sued.
The top courts where lawsuits were filed:
- 28 Lawsuits: Illinois Northern District Court – Chicago
- 25 Lawsuits: Pennsylvania Eastern District Court – Philadelphia
- 21 Lawsuits: Florida Southern District Court – Fort Lauderdale
- 19 Lawsuits: California Central District Court – Western Division – Los Angeles
- 15 Lawsuits: Florida Middle District Court – Tampa
- 14 Lawsuits: New York Western District Court – Buffalo
- 13 Lawsuits: Connecticut District Court – New Haven
- 13 Lawsuits: New York Eastern District Court – Brooklyn
- 13 Lawsuits: Colorado District Court – Denver
- 12 Lawsuits: Missouri Eastern District Court – St. Louis – Eastern Division
The most active consumer attorneys were:
- Representing 22 Consumers: Brent F. Vullings
- Representing 18 Consumers: Sergei Lemberg
- Representing 16 Consumers: Jack Dennis Card, Jr.
- Representing 13 Consumers: David J. Philipps
- Representing 10 Consumers: James D. Pacitti
- Representing 10 Consumers: Mark H. Rephen
- Representing 10 Consumers: Todd Michael Friedman
- Representing 9 Consumers: Lara Ruth Shapiro
- Representing 7 Consumers: Brian P. Parker
- Representing 7 Consumers: Donald A. Yarbrough
Statistics Year to Date:
8581 total lawsuits for 2010, including:
- 8033 FDCPA
- 946 FCRA
- 409 TILA
- 112 TCPA
Number of Unique Plaintiffs: 8231 (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit)
The most active consumer attorneys of the year:
- Representing 270 Consumers: Sergei Lemberg
- Representing 254 Consumers: Brent F. Vullings
- Representing 244 Consumers: Jack Dennis Card, Jr.
- Representing 200 Consumers: Todd Michael Friedman
- Representing 199 Consumers: David Michael Larson