FDCPA Lawsuit Statistics, August 1-15, 2009
There were about 354 FDCPA cases and 49 FCRA lawsuits in the first half of August.
- Of those cases, there were about 403 unique plaintiffs (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit).
- Of those plaintiffs, about 81 had sued under FDCPA, FCRA or TCPA before.
- Combined, those 81 plaintiffs have filed about 198 lawsuits since 2001
- Actions were filed in 93 different US District Court branches.
- About 278 different collection firms were sued.
The top courts where lawsuits were filed:
- 27 Lawsuits: Illinois Northern District Court - Chicago
- 18 Lawsuits: Colorado District Court - Denver
- 15 Lawsuits: California Southern District Court - San Diego
- 15 Lawsuits: Pennsylvania Western District Court - Pittsburgh
- 14 Lawsuits: California Central District Court - Los Angeles
- 13 Lawsuits: Arizona District Court - Phoenix
- 13 Lawsuits: Pennsylvania Eastern District Court - Philadelphia
- 12 Lawsuits: California Northern District Court - San Francisco
- 12 Lawsuits: Florida Southern District Court - Fort Lauderdale
- 12 Lawsuits: New York Eastern District Court - Brooklyn
The most active consumer attorneys were:
- Representing 30 Consumers: Ryan Scott Lee
- Representing 21 Consumers: Nicholas J. Bontrager
- Representing 15 Consumers: Brent F. Vullings
- Representing 14 Consumers: David Michael Larson
- Representing 13 Consumers: Donald A. Yarbrough
- Representing 13 Consumers: Todd Michael Friedman
- Representing 12 Consumers: Garrett I. Elias
- Representing 11 Consumers: Adam Jon Fishbein
- Representing 11 Consumers: David J. Philipps
- Representing 9 Consumers: Daniel A. Edelman
Statistics Year to Date: 5652 total lawsuits for 2009:
- 4755 FDCPA
- 796 FCRA
- 5 TCPA
Number of unique Plaintiffs: 5650 (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit)
The most active consumer attorneys of the year:
- Representing 307 Consumers: Ryan Scott Lee
- Representing 205 Consumers: Nicholas J. Bontrager
- Representing 168 Consumers: Kenneth R. Hiller
- Representing 157 Consumers: Daniel A. Edelman
- Representing 154 Consumers: Adam Theodore Hill