Quick analysis: Summer slump...
Everything was down in June. FDCPA, FCRA and TCPA (-2.4%, -26.6% and -20.9%, respectively) and CFPB complaints (-11.4%) all plummeted from what had been a strong May for all categories (except CFPB complaints, which were down a hair from April, -.8%).
Year-to-date, FCRA is the only statute that is up for the year, +9.6% over this time in 2017. CFPB complaints are up as well, +16.4% over 2017. FDCPA and TCPA are both down, -9.8% and 19.4%, respectively.
After several years of aggressive growth, TCPA just has not been able to sustain its numbers this year, a fact that should bring some (albeit minor) relief to the long-beleaguered collection and marketing verticals that have been targeted by relentless class actions invoking that statute.
In other news, putative class actions were mixed last month with 26% of FDCPA, 21.2% of TCPA and 5.3% of FCRA lawsuits filed that way.
About 30% of all plaintiffs who filed suit last month had filed at least once before.
And finally, Chicago attorney Nathan C. Volheim won the month by representing a total of 40 consumers. New York attorney Craig B. Sanders has represented 305 consumers so far in 2018, making him the most active consumer attorney YTD.
Note: We have temporarily removed BBB complaints from the grid, as we are experiencing some difficulties with their site. We should have everything updated and back in place by next month.
|Current Month:||Previous Month:||Previous
|Year to Date:||Year to
|Jun 01, 2018
Jun 30, 2018
|May 01, 2018
May 31, 2018
|Jun 01, 2017
Jun 30, 2017
|Jan 01, 2018
Jun 30, 2018
|Jan 01, 2017
Jun 30, 2017
457 consumers filed BBB complaints, 4240 consumers filed CFPB complaints, and about 1311 consumers filed lawsuits under consumer statutes from Jun 01, 2018 to Jun 30, 2018.
- 457 BBB Complaints
- 4240 CFPB Complaints
- 778 FDCPA, 202 Class Action (26.0%)
- 326 TCPA, 69 Class Action (21.2%)
- 375 FCRA, 20 Class Action (5.3%)
Litigation Summary (scroll down for BBB and CFPB data):
- Of those cases, there were about 1311 unique plaintiffs (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit).
- Of those plaintiffs, about 399, or (30%), had sued under consumer statutes before.
- Combined, those plaintiffs have filed about 5670 lawsuits since 2001
- Actions were filed in 179 different US District Court branches.
- About 784 different collection firms and creditors were sued.
The top courts where lawsuits were filed:
- 85 Lawsuits: Illinois Northern District Court - Chicago
- 63 Lawsuits: New York Eastern District Court - Brooklyn
- 57 Lawsuits: Georgia Northern District Court - Atlanta
- 50 Lawsuits: Florida Middle District Court - Tampa
- 36 Lawsuits: California Central District Court - Western Division - Los Angeles
- 35 Lawsuits: Nevada District Court - Las Vegas
- 31 Lawsuits: California Eastern District Court - Sacramento
- 30 Lawsuits: Pennsylvania Eastern District Court - Philadelphia
- 30 Lawsuits: Florida Southern District Court - Miami
- 29 Lawsuits: New York Eastern District Court - Central Islip
The most active consumer attorneys were:
- Representing 40 Consumers: NATHAN CHARLES VOLHEIM
- Representing 38 Consumers: TAXIARCHIS HATZIDIMITRIADIS
- Representing 33 Consumers: DAVID SCOTT KLAIN
- Representing 24 Consumers: DANIEL A LOURO
- Representing 21 Consumers: OMAR TAYSEER SULAIMAN
- Representing 21 Consumers: DAVID H KRIEGER
- Representing 21 Consumers: GEOFFREY BERNARD MCCARRELL
- Representing 20 Consumers: ANTRANIG N GARIBIAN
- Representing 19 Consumers: DAVID W HEMMINGER
- Representing 18 Consumers: TODD M FRIEDMAN
Statistics Year to Date:
7347 total lawsuits for 2018, including:
- 4742 FDCPA
- 2323 FCRA
- 2025 TCPA
Number of Unique Plaintiffs for 2018: 7417 (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit)
The most active consumer attorneys of the year:
- Representing 305 Consumers: CRAIG B SANDERS
- Representing 223 Consumers: NATHAN CHARLES VOLHEIM
- Representing 212 Consumers: MOHAMMED OMAR BADWAN
- Representing 207 Consumers: TAXIARCHIS HATZIDIMITRIADIS
- Representing 187 Consumers: AHMAD TAYSEER SULAIMAN
- Representing 153 Consumers: ELLIOT GALE
- Representing 149 Consumers: JEFFREY N WILENS
- Representing 131 Consumers: THOMAS J CONNICK
- Representing 128 Consumers: DAVID H KRIEGER
- Representing 118 Consumers: CELETHA CHATMAN
CFPB Complaint Statistics:
There were 4240 complaints filed against debt collectors from Jun 01, 2018 to Jun 30, 2018.
Total number of debt collectors complained about: 808
The types of debt behind the complaints were:
- 1262 Other debt (30%)
- 964 I do not know (23%)
- 909 Credit card debt (21%)
- 632 Medical debt (15%)
- 128 Auto debt (3%)
- 127 Payday loan debt (3%)
- 87 Mortgage debt (2%)
- 77 Private student loan debt (2%)
- 54 Federal student loan debt (1%)
Here is a breakdown of complaints:
- 1951 Attempts to collect debt not owed (46%)
- 1007 Written notification about debt (24%)
- 474 Communication tactics (11%)
- 368 Took or threatened to take negative or legal action (9%)
- 312 False statements or representation (7%)
- 128 Threatened to contact someone or share information improperly (3%)
The top five subissues were:
- 1018 Debt is not yours (24%)
- 794 Didnt receive enough information to verify debt (19%)
- 482 Debt was result of identity theft (11%)
- 386 Debt was paid (9%)
- 276 Frequent or repeated calls (7%)
The top states complaints were filed from are:
- 628 Complaints: TX
- 477 Complaints: CA
- 385 Complaints: FL
- 257 Complaints: GA
- 250 Complaints: NY
- 154 Complaints: NJ
- 145 Complaints: NC
- 138 Complaints: IL
- 137 Complaints:
- 106 Complaints: PA
The status of the month’s complaints are as follows:
- 3165 Closed with explanation (75%)
- 520 Closed with non-monetary relief (12%)
- 357 In progress (8%)
- 177 Untimely response (4%)
- 21 Closed with monetary relief (0%)
This includes 4002 (94%) timely responses to complaints, and 238 (6%) untimely responses.